I can’t say I was surprised at what I found but I was intrigued by some findings on Day 107 of Campaign Smile…
1. I started my day with a few business calls on other businesses, looking to develop some partnerships. I found it very interesting because I actually visited 2 different branches of the same large company and saw completely opposite results. In the first location, when I asked who I needed to be talking with, the young woman in front of me turned and referred me to the other woman behind her. While neither offered a smile, the second woman gave me the name of the person at the store level who could make that decision and instructed me as to the proper way to present my proposal and the time frame I had.
2. The second location, with the same question, I got two smiling faces with no help. The second woman went and got an assistant manager to let me know that the decision could not be made at store level and I would have to call corporate. As I said, I was not surprised since I worked in retail for a long time and know there is a wide variance in the information that is passed along by management as well as the responsibility assumed by the manager.
3. I was happy to see, later, when I got out of my car, smiling, that a woman approaching me expressed a huge smile and conversed briefly with me. That just reminded me of the power of a smile.
4. I passed another gentleman, though, and it was like trying to pull teeth, digging for that smile. I smiled repeatedly at him, nodded, greeted him, tried to engage him in conversation but got nothing.
5. After a rainy afternoon the weather was significantly cooler and I stopped for a few minutes at a local park. As I approached an older woman walking her dog she smiled and we had a nice conversation.