There was a wide range of reactions on my campaign stop for Day 83 of Campaign Smile. Each of the different outcomes was enjoyable for different reasons. Even when people send me very negative emotions and I find it difficult to believe that my smile has any effect I don’t feel bad. After all, it is still my choice at every moment how I feel about what occurs around me so I simply choose to not feel bad. Here’s what happened…
1. Shortly after entering the store I passed an older couple leaving. Though I never made eye contact with the woman the man stared right through me as I smiled at him. I didn’t feel like he was overtly hostile so he was more likely just tired.
2. A young redhead woman that worked there came around the corner toward me but did not respond to my smile. I did everything I could to engage her and try to make a dent in the armor but she stood strong. Sometimes, I guess, a bad day just will not be fixed that easily which is too bad. Certainly, things got better after she finished her shift.
3. The gentleman running the register had a warm smile that he gave freely to anyone willing to accept it. That was nice to see and I’m sure he had quite an impact on the store throughout his shift.
4. As I was leaving the store another older woman was entering. She scowled at me and seemed to shoot daggers from her eyes as she did. Probably, I surmised, there were other things giving her a bad time. It could also be that she was reminded of something hurtful by me. I remain confident that our exchange softened her mood in some way however imperceptible.
5. As I started to cross the driving path in front of the store a woman who was driving there must have been startled when she saw me. Though she was not moving all that fast, when she saw me she punched the brakes. She gave me a timid smile and a wave as I crossed.
6. After I was in my car and driving in that same lane another older woman was waiting to cross. I smiled and waved her across and received, for my efforts, a beautiful smile in return.
With 3 more smiles today I now have a total of 263 for the campaign. Keep smiling, it confuses those around you.
GetBlogs Blog DirectoryFree RSS Feeds DirectoryFeedbase
DreamHost reviewsFree Web Log DirectoryRanking Blogs