June 30th marks the end of my first giveaway, the James Dean Contest. If you haven’t subscribed to the blog do it now so you can be entered in the contest. Day 61 was a little tough on the campaign trail. My smile campaign stop for Campaign Smile yielded no smiles. The way I see it, though, that just proves the need for what I am trying to do. The point of life should be enjoying the experience of living, not suffering through it…
1. The first couple that I passed in my stop was amiable enough. The woman was talking to her husband and did not take notice of me. The man, however, nodded in response to my smile. While not a smile it was definitely positive.
2. Next, an older gentleman looked at my smiling visage and stared right through me. I have to believe that, deep down, the effect was positive for him.
3. Another woman was standing with her cart in the aisle where I was walking. She was by no means in my way as I had plenty of room to pass by her and her cart. Still, she jumped to the conclusion she expected to be correct, that she was blocking my path. Coming to that conclusion she quickly averted her eyes and moved out of my way.
4. The last woman that I engaged before leaving the store did not smile but the corners of her mouth did pull upward. Again, it was not a smile but it was a move in the right direction.
5. Luckily, when I was walking the dog later I did receive one smile from a neighbor as I passed and smiled my hello. We exchanged some light banter but I was most pleased by her smile.
Though I received 1 smile out of 5 encounters it is one more than there was in the world today. Plus, with the half-smile and the kind nod of acknowledgment I know I started some positive emotions flowing which will move themselves outward from me. The total smiles now stands at 204.
GetBlogs Blog DirectoryFree RSS Feeds DirectoryFeedbase
DreamHost reviewsFree Web Log DirectoryRanking Blogs