Today was Day 56 of Smile Campaign, ending the 8th week and getting closer to the end of the James Dean contest! (Make sure you are entered.) My wife and I were both off work today so we were all over the place again. We got up a little early, stopped at McDonald’s for breakfast and headed to the beach for a couple of hours. We then went home, showered and changed and had lunch at a nice local place overlooking the river. It was busy for smiles as well…
1. After giving my order to the young lady at the drive-thru at McDonald’s we pulled up to the first window to pay. The young lady was even nicer face to face than she was over the order intercom. She also had a great smile which would have been a great start to anyone’s day but, since smiles are my thing, so to speak, it was especially remarkable. The gentleman handing out the food at the second window was also very genuinely nice and shared a very real smile with us.
2. As we were approaching the boardwalk to the beach we passed a blonde woman who was leaving the sand. She not only had a tremendous smile but was even cheerful enough to chat with us some as we passed.
3. As we walked into the restaurant for lunch the hostess flashed a smile that literally lit her face up. It was especially noteworthy as she seemed to find it as soon as she saw us and our smiles.
4. The waitress, likewise, had a consistent smile. However, you could see the fatigue behind it. She seemed to know she should smile and actually did feel like doing so. Still, it was easy to see that, as more diners poured in, she was finding it harder and harder to keep it on.
5. Later in the afternoon I left the house to go get us a movie to watch and one of our neighbors happened to be walking his dogs by the house. He seemed more than happy to return my smile and engage in some small talk.